Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Horrible Horrible Horrible Day

In thinking of this as my dream vacation, I prepared for things to go wrong, never thinking things actually could go wrong... way, way, waaaay wrong. It's late, around 2:20AM here, but quick recap:

Our flight was delayed, our baggage was delayed by 6 hours, we had to RUN to connect to our flight (I really need to start working out... I swear my heart was going to burst!), when we finally got to the hotel, we were told we needed to pay 110 euros extra for one extra person... in a queen bed superior room. Riiiiiiiight... you say maximum 2 people in the room, yet you're charging us extra for that second person? Customers are never right in France, people smoke way too much (and never eat anything... so THAT'S the trick to staying skinny!), and expect a 1-star hotel in American to equal a 4-star hotel in France. Seriously! I thought Sofitel was pretty posh, but this experience has turned me off COMPLETELY from the brand! Here's my complaint letter to Sofitel:

Hi, my name is Jennifer and I am staying at the Sofitel Arc de Triomphe from April 27 to May 11, 2010 for a total of 11 nights. I reserved the hotel room under my sister’s name, Angel, as we are traveling together.
I booked a hotels.com vacation package with flight and hotel inclusive for my sister (1 person) because I already had a reserved airplane ticket. I could not book flight for 1 person, then hotel for 2 people under the vacation package, so the reservation was made for 1 person, but I emailed Sofitel Arc de Triomphe in mid-March 2010 to let them know 2 people were coming instead of only 1 person. Through miscommunication, I was led to believe that it was OK for 2 people to be in the same room. However, when I checked in, we learned there would be a supplemental charge for another person to be in the room, although I had booked a Superior Room with 1 Queen Bed for which the maximum capacity is for 2 people. Audrey at the front desk checked us in and was extremely rude about the whole process, insisting we had to pay a supplemental charge. I do not, and still cannot, believe I am being charged for one more person in a 2 person capacity room, and I asked to speak to the manager. The manager was off-duty and Audrey was reluctant to call her, but I insisted, so Audrey called but explained the whole thing to the manager without letting me talk to the manager (again, I had to forcefully insist to speak with the manager directly). I was charged a supplement of 10 euros per night for the 11 nights we are staying here, coming out to 110 euros extra.
Audrey assigned us to a room where the toilet doesn’t completely flush and the shower drains extremely slowly.
On top of that, the wireless internet would not work. I asked Audrey on the phone, then once again in person, but both times she was rude and tossed a password at me (a different password each time) without explaining the process of how to get the wireless connection set up. Later, we called downstairs again and a very nice male employee came up to have a look. He agreed that the wireless was not working and said to use the internet cable instead, and we would not be charged a fee for using the cable. I wish Audrey would have just told us that we could use the cable at the beginning, because we wasted a lot of time trying to figure out the wireless problem.
We also had a problem with our luggage being delayed by British Airways and BA promising to deliver the luggage to our hotel. I explained this to Audrey when I first checked in around 6pm, but by 10pm, we still had no word on our luggage so we went downstairs to ask. It was only then that we found out from the concierge, that when we checked in, we were supposed to give our baggage claim reference number to the concierge, but again, Audrey never told us that. She was condescending and made us feel humiliated. I have stayed at Sofitels around the world and have been extremely satisfied in the past. In fact, I have never, ever had a hotel experience like this, and I am so upset and frustrated at Sofitel Arc de Triomphe that I feel obliged to let everyone know what a horrible experience I have had at this hotel. If I could cancel without incurring the 100% cancellation fee, I would have done so, as to be treated this way from a 4-star hotel is completely unacceptable. I hope you will train employees to rectify this in the future.

Unfortunately, their online form limits how much you can complain, so I had to pare it down to an edited version.

We also got very very lost on our first day out. Soooo... hopefully tomorrow will be a better and brighter day? Looking forward to any day better than this!

1 comment:

  1. It was a hectic journey indeed. However, don't let them ruin your vacation. Please take plenty of rest.

    ReplyDelete