Friday, May 21, 2010

Dad’s Trip to the Vatican

I passed the security checkpoint to get in St. Peter church. I have to leave my Swiss army knife to my wife since it only allows you to carry water and umbrella. I went to Popes’ tombs first, then visited the church. There is a long line for the cupola (dome). I paid 7 euro to ride the elevator to get up, then there are 320 steps to welcome you to climb up. You can circle the interior dome to see visitors inside the church, then climb up to the top of the dome to view Rome. I guess this is the highest place in the area so you can clearly see everything. It’s pretty crowded though. They have a coffee shop and a souvenir store. How do they get stuff into the shop?

I visited the Vatican museum after my trip to St Peter church. The entrance fee is 15 euros. It’s strange that there is an Egyptian museum inside but I did not go. I passed through several galleries and apartments (with Rafael’s works) to get to the Sistine Chapel to see Michaelangelo’s works.

I spent almost the whole afternoon inside the museum. It’s worth the efforts. I can’t take photos inside. However, there must be tons of materials on the net or bookstores/libraries for future reference.

My family came back around 6:30pm to meet me in the courtyard. They also went inside the St. Peter’s church. Jen took lots of photos

No comments:

Post a Comment