Sunday, June 20, 2010

Brussels Day 4- Chocolate Tour, European Union Headquarters





Last day of my trip, which means stocking up on chocolate and Belgian beer! ^.^ Haha I hate beer but my mom loves the stuff, so I did a search on the best Belgian beer and bought two bottles for her to taste. I was bracing to pay some hefty amount of money for them, based on what Americans were saying online about how expensive these brands would be. Obviously, I forgot that while they are expensive in America, it’s damn cheap in Belgium! One 33ml bottle is around 1.08-1.70 euro. Chocolate, on the other hand, is really expensive!

I wanted to buy Pierre Marcolini’s chocolate cuz online, people were saying he’s one of the best in the world. It’s like 1 euro per tiny piece, and I just couldn’t bring myself to buy any because I wasn’t excited by any of his flavors. Plus the truffles are all square-shaped, hand-dipped in chocolate but my sister doesn’t like that shape!
His macarons (20 for 30 euros):

Mary is a famous chocolate shop that the royal family frequents:

I wanted to buy some, but the lady in front of me was taking forever with her purchases and there was only one cashier… plus again, I wasn’t excited by any particular chocolate I saw there so I left empty-handed.
Mary is near Parc de Bruxelles, and I was heading that way anyway. The European Union headquarters are on the other side of Parc de Bruxelles:

Well, let’s just say the whole neighborhood on the other side of the park is filled with EU buildings. But this is the official headquarters:


On my walk over, I kept seeing this huge monument at the far end of the street. So naturally I went :) The monument is the center of a ginormous park and it’s very pretty and peaceful (very surprising, given that it’s the biggest park in Brussels! I guess they’re not as big ‘park’ people as London. Not too many tourists around these parts either :T ):









It’s absolutely gorgeous! The park was built in 1880 as part of the ‘Grand International Show of the Sciences and Industry.’
Chocopolis is near Grand Place and a chocolate shop that really caters to tourists:

They hand out free samples, and have an open kitchen where they give free demos at certain times of the day. But I was impressed by the flavor selection and the variety of shapes, so I caved in and bought a box~ 30 pcs for 18 euros, which to me is freakin’ expensive! BUT not as expensive as Neuhaus! I saw two pieces that Angel would really enjoy, but they were sold by weight so I had no idea until the lady packaged them that the total was 2.08 euros for 2 pieces! Good grief!

No comments:

Post a Comment